The Monsoon season is upon us, but sometimes Mother Nature takes a break. Unless we get a lot more rain, we will all need to continue a regular watering schedule to keep trees, shrubs, flowers and ground-covers healthy.
We all need to take responsibility for saving our most precious resource. Here are some water-wise tips we recommend:
– Water in the evening or early morning before heat and drying winds cause rapid evaporation
– Water less frequently – yet soak thoroughly, soak the roots once or twice a week rather than frequent shallow watering
– Use a watering can instead of a hose when possible
– Drip system customers! Make sure that your drip systems are working correctly and be aware of your settings. Closely monitor the watering needs of your plants and trees. You may need to adjust the settings.
– Use mulch: it reduces evaporation, keeps soil cooler and adds water-holding humus
– Avoid rock mulches and asphalt: they trap and radiate heat and increase water needs of nearby plants
– Prune and weed regularly and fertilize properly only when needed: excessive growth requires excessive watering