… these FUN FACTS ABOUT THE GOLDENRAIN TREE?
- Golden rain trees are ornamental flowering trees that are deciduous and useful for shade.
- The scientific name of a golden rain tree is ‘Koelreuteria paniculata’ and it comes from the Sapindaceae family, the family of soapberries.
- Golden rain trees are native to Korea and China and typically grow to be 7 to 12 metres (23 to 40 feet) in height.
- Golden rain trees have small, yellow colored, four petalled blossoms, that bloom in summer or autumn, which can cause golden carpets below the tree when they drop.
- Golden rain trees grow best in sunny areas and can withstand droughts.
- Golden rain trees can be a source of yellow and black dye, and the seeds are sometimes used as a bead in jewelry making.
- Golden rain trees have coral or brown colored paper-like pods that contain multiple dark colored seeds, and ferny leaves that change color at different stages.